Banana Nut Cinnamon Rolls
Serves: 10 - 12
Yield: 12 rolls
Prep Time: 1 hour + 30 mins.
Cook time: 25 - 30 mins.
What's better than banana nut bread or cinnamon rolls for breakfast? A delightful combo of the two! These banana nut cinnamon rolls are warm, slightly spiced, and just sweetened with cream cheese frosting. You'll be wishing it was breakfast all day.
Contributed by Kayla Thomas from EATINGELSEWHERE.COM
Published: JUNE 6, 2017
Published: JUNE 6, 2017
- 8 ounces whole milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 - 3 bags chai tea
- 340 grams flour
- 3.5 ounces unsalted butter, melted
- 1 packet instant yeast
- 35 grams sugar + 1 tablespoon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 154 grams mashed banana
- 40 grams brown sugar
- 3 - 4 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup pecans, crushed
- 1 small banana, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil, for oiling bowl
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 125 grams powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Pour milk into heavy-bottomed saucepan and add chai tea bags and cinnamon stick. Heat over medium-low until bubbles begin to form at the edges of the milk and it begins to steam. Immediately remove from pan and let milk and tea steep for 5 minutes.
- Remove tea bags and cinnamon stick. Add 1.5 ounces of melted butter to milk and stir to combine. Empty into medium size bowl.
- Add one packet of instant yeast to milk, whisk together, and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Add mashed banana, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and salt to the yeast mixture and stir to combine.
- Begin adding flour to the yeast mixture 1/2 cup at a time, stirring quickly between additions, until dough is springy. With well-floured hands, knead the dough for only for a few minutes until the ball is smooth and springy. Form dough into a ball. Wipe out the bowl and coat with grapeseed oil. Place dough ball in the bowl, seam-side down, and cover. Rest for 1 hour, until dough is double in size.
- Place dough on a well floured surface (I prefer a floured silipat mat) and roll dough into a long rectangle, 1/4-inch thick.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Brush remaining melted butter over the rolled-out dough and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, crushed pecans, and sliced banana.
- Beginning at the shorter end, roll the dough tightly toward the other end into a log shape. Pinch the seams together.
- Use a serrated knife to cut 10 - 12 rolls about 1.5 - 2-inches thick. Pack rolls into a buttered cast iron skillet, just touching, not smashing each other.
- Preheat oven to 350 and let rolls have a second rise while oven comes to temperature. You should give them about 20 minutes here and the rolls should be noticeably plumper.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes, until golden on top and sugar is bubbling.
- Combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla until desired consistency for glaze. Spread evenly over warm rolls. Serve warm.