Blackberry & Lemon Caramel Tartlets
Blackberries come fully alive when paired with this fresh lemon caramel sauce.
Contributed by Kayla Thomas from EATINGELSEWHERE.COM
Published: July 7, 2017
Serves: 4 mini tarts, 8 servings
- 150 grams all-purpose flour
- 50 grams sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 25 grams almond meal
- 3 ounces unsalted butter, cold
- 1 egg
- 2 ounces butter
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 66 grams sugar
- 12 ounces (2 pints) blackberries
- 50 grams sugar
- 16 grams flour
- 0.5 ounces butter
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
Lemon Caramel Sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 and prepare four mini tart pans by buttering the bottoms and sides.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and almond meal in a food processor and pulse two or three times. Add butter in small cubes and pulse until the mixture is the consistency of fine crumbs. Add egg and run food processor until the dough comes together in a ball. Stop immediately.
- Divide dough evenly between the four tart pans and press the dough into the pan, beginning with the sides and then covering the bottom. Refrigerate for 10 - 15 minutes.
- After refrigeration, prick the sides and bottoms of the tarts with a fork to prevent the crust from puffing in the oven. Place in preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until just golden brown.
- While the tarts are in the oven, prepare the lemon caramel sauce. Add butter to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Allow the butter to melt, swirling the pan occasionally to ensure an even melt. Once the butter has melted, leave it in the pan over medium heat to brown. The butter will begin to foam and after foaming, will begin to brown.
- When the butter is an amber brown and smells nutty, remove from heat and add lemon juice, salt, and sugar. Return to heat and swirl the mixture until the sugar dissolves. Heat the caramel until it reads 200 degrees Fahrenheit on a candy thermometer. Then pour caramel into a bowl to prevent further caramelization.
- In a medium bowl, combine blackberries, sugar, flour, and butter until the blackberries are coated. The flour will provide a thickening agent to the tarts.
- Once the pre-bake has finished, remove the tarts from the oven and decrease oven temperature to 350.
- evenly distribute the blackberries between the four pans. Pour lemon caramel sauce over each tart, just to the brim of the tart crust.
- Return filled tarts to oven and bake for 30 - 35 minutes, until tarts are bubbling and the crust has browned.
Yield: 4 tartletsPrep Time: 30 mins.
Cook time: 50 mins.
Total time: 1 hour + 30 mins.