KENTUCKY TRANSPARENT PIE
Transparent Pie is a hidden gem of a dessert from Maysville, Kentucky. The filling reminds some of custard, others of Chess Pie, but the texture and recipe is altogether its own.
Contributed by Kayla Thomas from EatingElsewhere.com
Published: May 30, 2017
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 9-inch glass pie dish
- Begin with crust. In a medium bowl, sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest. Add butter in thin slices and using fingers, rub butter into the dry mixture until the mixture is the texture of fine sand. Add egg to mixture and form into disc. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375. Grease pie dish with butter.
- In a large bowl, beat melted butter and sugar with hand mixer on medium speed until fluffy and creamed. Beat in eggs, one at a time, on medium-low. Slowly pour heavy cream into mixture and beat on medium speed until the mixture is fully incorporated. Stir in flour and vanilla. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl, making sure the mixture is fully combined.
- Remove chilled dough from refrigerator and on a well-floured surface, roll into a circle large enough for 9-inch pie dish. When rolling dough, generously coat bottom and top of the dough as well as the rolling pin to prevent sticking. Regularly slide the dough away from the surface to ensure the dough isn't sticking, adding more flour when necessary. When the right size is reached, fold the dough over the rolling pin and place it in the pie dish. Crimp edges.
- Pour liquid mixture into pie shell. Bake at 375 degrees in the middle of the oven for 40 - 45 minutes, or until top is golden brown. After 25 minutes, check pie to make sure edges of crust are not burning and if they are, cover in foil or pie guards.
Yield: 8 slicesPrep Time: 1 hour + 15 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 1 hour + 55 mins